Scalby is about 3 miles north of Scarborough.
St Laurence’s Church is the oldest building in the village. The parish boundary, at one time, stretched from just north of Ravenscar in the north down to the boundary of St Mary’s, Scarborough, in the south.
Scalby War Shrine 1918
In common with towns and villages all over the UK, Scalby had a war shrine a few years before the stone war memorial was erected in the churchyard. The war shrine stood on the High Street opposite the building that is now St Laurence’s vicarage, on the grass next to the Jubilee fountain. It was described in the local newspaper as, “A handsome shrine in woodwork, appropriately decorated in an ecclesiastical design”, and was the work of a Birmingham firm that specialised in such items. It was unveiled in January 1918 by Mrs Ethel Wordsworth, wife of Captain (later Sir) William Henry Laycock Wordsworth. Captain Wordsworth had presented the monument to the village and it bore the names of 195 people, including 2 women, who had been in action in a variety of ways during the war.
Captain Wordsworth was a prominent local character, active on the parish council and at St Laurence’s Church. He had lived with his younger brother John Lionel at Glen Park. (This house is the large building, now known as The Glen on Hay Brow Crescent, currently divided into more than one dwelling.) Mrs Ethel Wordsworth was one of the Rudgard family who lived at Scalby Hall, off Scalby Beck Road. Scalby Hall is also still standing but has been split into flats..
Both the Wordsworth and Rudyard families donated handsome large memorial windows to St Laurence’s in what worshippers refer to as ‘the side chapel’. This chapel was built in 1859, and is formally known as St Michael and All Angels’ Chapel. The largest window in the south wall (next to the entrance door) is a memorial to Captain J. Lionel Wordsworth of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. The window behind the altar was placed there in memory of Mrs (Later Lady) Wordsworth’s parents, Richard and Jane Eliza Rudgard.
Twenty of the men on the war shrine had been killed in action or died of wounds, including seven whose names do not appear on the stone war memorial in the churchyard. The stone war memorial was unveiled in April 1921. The reasons for the delay in organising this are not currently known.
The Bishop of Hull presided over the 1918 service to celebrate the unveiling of the war shrine. A local paper reorted that he said that they had done well to record for all time in their midst those who had given up all for their fellows and in that wonderful way. The Bishop believed that the fallen had brought themselves more and more closely into the image of Him, the perfect Man, who gave up all for us. He concluded by making a plea for “that unity of spirit which was characterised by the presence there that day side by side of church and chapel”.
The Bishop added that the last lap of any race was always the heaviest and reminded his listeners it was then that they needed perseverance, and a fixing of the eye on the goal they had set out to reach. The Allies were now in the last lap of the war, and he urged all to be steadfast to the end. The village’s Primitive Methodist minister, Rev. H. Fox agreed, but warned that the time would come when victory would have been achieved, but England would not necessarily be saved. If we were to be worthy of the service and the sacrifice that were being rendered on our behalf, people should recognise that the only memorial worthy of these great men was the building up of “An English life informed and inspired by the great Christian ideas”.
The following month the Scarborough Mercury published the following letter, from ‘A serving soldier’s wife.’ Sir – A certain little village not far from our town has lately held a touching and beautiful ceremony, the opening of a war memorial shrine. The ceremony was carried out in all perfection of detail, nothing that could add to the beauty and pathos of such a service was lacking. But – and it is indeed a very big “but” – was it fitting that on the shrine itself, dedicated to the memory of our dead heroes, side by side with the immortal names of those who have fallen for their country and their village, should be written the names of those who were indeed slow to hear the call, who fled at the last moment to the Recruiting Office, hounded on by the ugly spectre of Conscription, and those who have never heard a shot fired in action, nor moved from their own firesides? Now Sir, I ask you, is it fair or fitting that names such as these – and they far exceed in number the names of the honoured dead – should be written on such a roll as this? Isn’t it rather farcical to imagine the widows and their bereaved mothers coming to lay their tributes of flowers at the feet of Derbyites* and stay at homes? I grieve to think that what should have been the sacred heart of a village has become a thing of discord and jeering contempt.” (*Derbyites were medically fit men not in a reserved occupation aged 18-41, asked by Lord Derby, Director of Recruiting, to volunteer for the army prior to the introduction of conscription in January 1916).
The words of the churchmen and soldier’s wife clearly point to tensions prevalent in Scalby at the start of 1918. Hopefully the letter’s author was placated by the erection of the memorial where parishioners still remember the fallen each Remembrance Sunday in November.
NAMES ON THE WAR SHRINE
Oliver Parkin Abram – 5th Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards), enlisted Oct. 1914 when under 16 years of age
Jack Appleby – see separate page
Tom Appleby – Yorkshire Hussars, see page about his brother Jack Appleby
Thos. W. Armstrong – see separate page
Joseph K Atkinson
George Herbert Bastiman – enlisted in the Royal Marines July 1914
George Bird – see separate page
Norman Bird – does not appear to be a relation of George Bird
Austin Boddy – 21st Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps (see page on Harry Mitchell)
James Alf Boddy
George Bowman – see separate page
David Boyes – see separate page
Charles Broughton – of Newby. Enlisted January 1915 in 10th Canadian Mounted Rifles & later transferred to Strathcona’s Horse
William J Brown
Tom A Carr – see separate page
William Collinson – possibly the older brother of Frank Collinson (see separate page)
Albert Cook – an A Cook served with 1st West Riding Regiment in France
Arthur Cook – an A Cook served with 1st West Riding Regiment in France
Colin Coulson DCM
G H Cook
David R Coulson – served with the Australian Light Horse and in 1915 was doing duty in the Remount Department at Perth, Western Australia
C Ronald Coultas
John Robert Dugdale
Frank A Dunkley
Alexander T Dunkley
Albert C Dunkley
A H Fawcett
G H Fawcett
Leslie D Fletcher
Frank J Flinton
L J Fox
George H Goodwill
Jno. William Goodwill
Francis R Hurd
James Albert Iveson
Stanley F Jarvis
J William Johnson
William C Johnson
Henry F Kidd
S S Lockwood
A G Lotinga
John Wilson Morley
JH Nicholson MM
Edward C Peacock
William O Readman
Ernest H Rudgard
Alfred Hugh Rudgard
Ernest H Sellers
Robert A Smith
John Steel, sen.
Thomas P Steel
John D Tickle
George W Turner
E M Varley
Robert H Ward
G L Wick
Lionel J Wordsworth
Frank A Wrightson
Frank Yewdall (Fred?)